Indian Journal of PsychiatryIndian Journal of Psychiatry
Home | About us | Current Issue | Archives | Ahead of Print | Submission | Instructions | Subscribe | Advertise | Contact | Login 
    Users online: 13676 Small font sizeDefault font sizeIncrease font size Print this article Email this article Bookmark this page
Search Again
 Back
 Table of Contents
 
 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Citation Manager
 Article Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert
 Add to My List
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed543    
    Printed23    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded106    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal

 
ARTICLE
Year : 1992  |  Volume : 34  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 89-101

Acute Non - Organic Psychotic State in India : Symptomatology


Department of Psychiatry, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education & Research, Chandigarh, India

Correspondence Address:
Vijoy K Verma
Department of Psychiatry, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education & Research, Chandigarh
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


PMID: 21776107

Rights and PermissionsRights and Permissions

Patients with acute onset, non-organic psychotic states are frequently reported from India and certain other developing countries. This paper relates to an investigation of such cases in terms of their clinical history and their symptomatology examining the extent to which these are similar /dissimilar to schizophrenia and affective psychosis. 109 cases of acute psychosis fulfilling specified screening criteria were assessed on the Schedule for Clinical Assessment Acute Psychotic States (SCAAPS) and Present Slate Examination (PSE). Vie findings revealed that about 34% of all patients experienced significant strees before the onset of psychosis. About 40% of all cases presented with Catego subtype which was not indicative clearly of a specific diagnostic category. This subgroup of patients differed from the remaining 60% of patient in having greater frequency of stress before the onset of psychosis. On the whole the delusions were more commonly seen in patients from upper socioeconomic status & urban background. Limitations of classificatory provisions in the ICD-9 and catego in dealing with acute psychotic state are highlighted.



[PDF]*

        

Print this article         Email this article